Part One: Letting go of technology that doesn’t serve us
Throughout the next several blogs, we will be focusing on the practice of fleet management. Equal parts strategic business insight and innovative technology, fleet management helps organizations take off their denial glasses and look office printing reality dead in the eye. Fleet management goes beyond giving organizations peace of mind — it enables them to reduce costs and enhance everyone’s productivity by:
- Consolidating aging and underutilized devices to reduce costs and energy consumption.
- Putting the right devices in the right places.
- Automating digital workflows to simplify and speed up business processes.
Just how much peace of mind are we talking about? According to the industry gurus at Gartner:
- Organizations that manage their printer, copier and fax fleets can save between 10% and 30% of their print costs.
That makes fleet management a path worth seeking, especially when you consider that in a typical enterprise:
- Printing costs now represent nearly 6% of operational expenditures.
- For every dollar spent on the hard costs of printing, another $9 is spent managing the printed documents over their lifecycles.
Do the math. When technology powerhouse HP put fleet management to work in its own office printing environments, it added up to millions of dollars in savings. Here are some highlights of what HP and fleet management achieved.
Source: HP data
|Category||Before||After||Net impact||Percent impact|
|Number of devices||4,385||2,004||2,381 fewerDevices||Down 54%|
|$15.2 M||$8.3 M||$6.9 M||45% savings|
|Total lifetime energycosts||Approximately$485,420||Approximately$221,843||Approximate savings:$263,577||45% savings|
How Copiers Northwest Can Help
You don’t have to be a global printing powerhouse to put fleet management to work for you. All it takes is a sincere desire to cut costs and the courage to look deep into the inner workings of your office printing environment. Don’t panic. Take a deep breath and give us a call at 866.692.0700 today to talk about how to make your printers work for you.
 Gartner: “Magic Quadrant for Managed Print Services,” Worldwide, September 22, 2010, ID Number G00206095.
2  ALL Associates Group, “Enterprise Document Assessment Methodology (EDAM),” white paper, 2010.
3  All Associates Research, EDAM white paper, 2009.